Birthday Fun

Yesterday for my language practice I learned how to say "I am buying a gift for my friend" and "Her birthday is tomorrow." We went into the party store and I said my little phrase and the shopkeeper looked at me funny and started laughing. I tried to repeat it a few times and my roommate looked at me and said, "You are saying, 'I am buying a stomach for my friend." Apparently, the word for gift and stomach are very similar... at least the shopkeeper got a good laugh...He said, "That is best joke of day." So, we bought some very interesting decorations. Keep in mind, the people here LOVE bright, crazy, and (and to some maybe) delightfully tacky things..as you can see in the background, we bought a hanging, flower waterfall. Today, we had fun celebrating though. We gave her some fake, purple flowers, gaudy earrings, and purple tye-dyed fabric...she loved it all, well most of it...as would the South Asians.

posted under |
Newer Post Older Post Home

Recent Comments